I shipped the last boxes today. Last week I shipped 47 APO flat rate boxes and 3 big boxes. This week I shipped 3 APO flat rate boxes and 3 big boxes. For a grand total of 50 APO flat rate boxes and 6 big boxes shipped!!!!!!! And the best part was that is ended up costing right around $750 to pack and ship everything, which is probably the most I've ever spent or will ever spend at the post office (and also resulted in the longest reciepts I've ever received, well anywhere). When the workers at the post office saw us come in with two carts full of boxes last week I'm sure they were each hoping they wouldn't get stuck going through all the boxes. It's a lot of work to mail stuff to an APO because you have to fill out the customs paperwork too and the postal worker has to stamp each paperwork about 4-5 times and then put it in a clear envelope stuck to the outside of the box. May I just say that the postal worker who helped me with the 50 boxes last week did it all with a smile and I'm grateful for that.
So Dollars for Drawers is officially over. It ended up being a bigger project that I anticipated, but it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot doing it. Probably the most important thing I learned is that most people want to help the troops but aren't often presented with a direct way to go about doing it. I appreciate every one of you who donated and I'm positive that the soldiers in the hospital that it ends up in Iraq will appreciate not having to wear the hideous hospital gowns! Thank you all for your support.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment